Monday , August 2 2021

Amazing results from a study that shows that people who are allergic to peanuts can tolerate it



Emily, the 6 year old British girl, is happier than ever: she can finally have a cake at her friends' birthday party.

Up to now eating even a cake cake could have had serious consequences: Emily is fine allergic to peanuts, whose stroke can be found in a large amount of food.

Before he could take up to 10 milligrams (mg) of peanuts, but now he can tolerate up to 30 times more.

"It's astonishing how many foods can be traces of peanuts, especially for children, such as cakes, cookies and ice cream," says Sophie, Emily's mother.

The girl managed to partially solve her problem by providing a study involving children aged between 4 and 17 years old from the United Kingdom and the United States, aged 500 years. produce resilience for that food.

The study was based on the principle of desensitization. It is a procedure that has hitherto been used for allergic pollen or bees. Metabolism of allergy metabolism increased its tolerance.

104403310emily-7971e24205581207bc062031dd0715b2.jpg

So they used a method for food: in one year, children received daily peanut protein at doses that gradually increased.

At the final stage of the study, two-thirds of the participants could eat up to two peanuts.

Emily was 50% of the participants who were able to eat up to 7. SuccessAlthough these amounts seem small for people who are not allergic, they give these children almost normal life.

George Du Toit, a pediatric specialist and research director in the United Kingdom visited the BBC's "Today" study, where he said: "The results of this innovative study are very promising and suggest that we can prevent a serious reaction of a allergic child to peanuts accidental exposure".

This does not mean that Emily is no longer allergic, but her parents can breathe easily. Now he can eat up to seven peanuts without any reaction, so the risk of having a serious reaction if he swallows food inadvertently is reduced. Something that shocked them

104403313gettyimages697940658-df8b4d8f967de57401c215ccfb8a9339.jpg

"Families live in fear of accidental exposure because allergic reactions can be very serious and even up to date causes death"says Du Toit.

Emily's mother confirmed this, saying: "The process was very stressful, but Emily had so few side effects that we were convinced that they did not give him peanuts, but a placebo."

He adds, "We are proud that this research has changed our lives, now we have the freedom we have never been before."

When they ask Emily what she wants for her birthday, she is clear: "Several different tastes of cakes".


Now you can receive notifications from BBC News World. Download the new version of the app and activate it so that we do not waste our best content.


Source link